CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 23, 2008

thoughts on our Stewart Home Visit

For those who read this and don't know about the Stewart Home, the Stewart Home is a school for students with special needs in Frankfort. They do amazing work with close to 200 students from all over the US and abroad. Some of us at Hope got in contact with the SH to see if there was a way we could help them do what they're doing there. Different groups of volunteers have gone simply to play and help with some of the students at different times, and we've build a healthy connection with the school and its students. Yesterday, we packed up a trailer and threw a party for the students there. We brought a full band set up, clowns, face painters, bubbles, and the likes and decided to just blow the doors off their hinges for an hour or two.

First, to those who went, thank you. It was amazing to see how well our people worked together to make an event like that happen. It seemed effortless, though I know it wasn't. I was even more moved to see so many people come and not just watch; seeing your hearts come out as you worked with the students there encouraged and challenged me so much. There was more pure joy on the dance floor yesterday than I've seen in a long time. It was beautiful.

Second, and maybe this is a little raw, but what is it about dancing and joy that caught us off guard yesterday? Or me, anyway... I don't know how much of what we sang about even translated to the students we were with...honestly, to evangelize was not the point anyway...but when it comes down to the joy in those moments, the pure enjoyment of life itself, I feel like I was preached to by every student there. For me, every song and dance and laugh and shout was a testament of the goodness of life, and the greatness of God in the midst of all life brings us. Within the presence of God is the presence of joy, unquenchable and overflowing and transforming. I mean, I feel like i see things differently after last night. I know afterwards, a few of us were talking through what we had experienced as if something had come over us...something foreign but not foreign at all. Joy had shown up and looked us in the eye and asked us to dance. And so many said yes.

I'm still processing through it all, but I'd love to hear stories from any of you who went...where's this hitting you?


----------------
Listening to: Doveman - Cities

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart is overwhelmed. Aron, Bonnie, Emmaline, Olivia, Heather and I all went to Stewart yesterday. The three youngest had been earlier this year with Hope Students and came home full of stories to share with us. That event alone brought tears around our family table. As the mom of a special needs young woman, I was looking forward to watching something sweet happen. I have seen it many times throughout Heather's life when she meets a friend with a childlike heart. Shortly after we got there I had already been asked by several students why Heather was in a wheel chair and had to explain over and over (I'm used to that...Heather registers things in her brain through repetition) about her seizures and how her chair keeps her from getting hurt. As another student introduced herself to Heather, the student standing with us put her hands out in front Heather and said gently, “Don’t hurt her, be careful!” There is a bond that takes place between these kids (that includes all ages) that is precious to watch. But that wasn't what overwhelmed me...

Yesterday I changed places with my daughter.

The longer I held hands with the students and received countless hugs and innumerable requests to dance, the less "grown-up" my mind felt and younger my heart became! Then I looked up towards the stage and saw all these hands in the air…that’s when it hit me…these kids live life without any inhibitions at all times. They can engage in worship at any moment without anything to get in their way or hold them back. Believe me, I’ve seen it happen in my own home. I can be stressing about nothing and from somewhere in the house I’ll hear Heather singing a worship song I haven’t heard for more than ten years! She may not get all of the words right but she knows who she’s singing to, and it is pure, unadulterated, poured out adoration. Yesterday I got a big drink of that. I wasn’t the adult who had a thousand things on her mind and just couldn’t penetrate through that brick wall in my brain to experience the sweetness He had for me. I can’t help but wonder if the abandonment we caught hold of for an hour and a half might look something like one of David’s many dances.

I left the Stewart grounds last night wanting more. More freedom, more worship, more child-likeness in my adult life, more time soaking with these kids.

This morning the girls and I sat around the table and shared our stories. Then I did the same thing with my husband on his lunch hour. He repeated everything I was feeling. He sounded so excited…young. Last night when we stopped by Wal-Mart before heading home, we were still floating. We wanted to shake hands with people and introduce ourselves, learn names, smile at people...is this how my daughter has felt for 22 years? I will stop myself the next time I try to keep her from reaching out to strangers. I will move out of my safety zone and join her. I will not try to keep her quiet during worship even if she sings completely different words out loud. And I will definitely “put my hands up” every single time she urges me to!

I think this one experience on this one day will have a ripple effect in all our lives for a while. Let’s do it again!

Leah said...

I'm always up for anything that gets me out of my comfort zone. Isn't it amazing how God uses our fears of the different or the unknown, to draw us closer to Him?
The visit with the students combined with the sermon on the pride of life, really hit home for me. How I envy the students' ability to hug strangers and be instant friends! Being around them makes me realize how much pride I have and how much it keeps me from just resting in God's grace and enjoying the life around me!
Hearing Open Skies really blew me away as I realized how much what we experienced with the students' must be like praising the Father in heaven. It also reminded me a great deal of what I experienced in South Africa; and I think that we in America do not dance and "show our joy" enough.

Anonymous said...

I have to be honest and say that I did not want to go to the Stewart Home Sunday night. My friend Mary, who is a new Christian and new member of Hope Church (yea!!) asked me to go with her last week. Well, what could I say...I had to say yes. But it was a hard yes. I actually was dreading going. Sunday when Jeff spoke of being uncomfortable, stepping out of your comfort zone, and not wanting to go, that hit me right in the gut...also on my arm, as Mary punched me everytime Jeff said something! She thought I had talked to Jeff before the sermon! No, but Jesus was talking to me!!! So we went. As soon as I walked in the gym I started thinking oh my gosh, I'm so nervous. But it wasn't long before two or three people came up to me and shook my hand and asked "What is your name?". Wow! What loving, gentle, friendly people they are. It wasn't long before Mary had us up front clapping, dancing and singing along with everyone. Then a sweet woman grabbed my hand and wanted me to dance with her....oops, I can't leave my comfort zone..well, I did and what a great time I had! Jumping high, clapping, singing. Then she got Teri, then Sheri, then Mary. Man, was it hot in there! I have to say that I have never had an experience like that in my life. If only I could worship like that on Sunday mornings, but instead I sit on my hands, scared someone may look at me funny. Last night was a great time and great experience for me. I came out of my comfort zone and can't wait to do it again! One thing that the Lord laid on my heart is when I looked around that gym at everyone there-there were no differences in us, we were all alike. I will never look at the people from the Stewart Home the same again. They sure taught me alot last night. Thank you Jesus for helping me step out of that box. What an awesome God we serve.

Unknown said...

My cousin Donna Sutton and her children attend Hope. I have been to the church several times and I love it but I do have a church home.
Several things touched me at the time spent at Stewart home. One is I took my 8 year old son. I explained to him what the people would be like and he wanted to go (probably because Josh was going to be there) but he went. I was uncomfortable about going but at my church our sermon was on humbling ourselves so I went. My son was scared and overwhelmed but I prayed a small prayer over him and then he was hugging people and shaking their hands. What an awesome experience to see what God can do even to young people when they are out of their comfort zone.
The second thing, is Donna's husband Troy has been in Iraq this year and I have been healing from a divorce due to infidelty and this whole year Donna and I have said to each other Girl we will dance! God will answer our prayers and we will dance. Well we did and what a great experience, I have thought about it all week and the experience was wonderful, I felt like I was just leaving a mission trip or church camp! When we got in my car, Donna said, We said we would dance! Isn't it just like God to use an experience that is so "out of the box" and bring his joy and peace to us!

Praise God and the people who give their time to Stewart homes.

Let me just add that I have seen and felt the Holy Spirit every time I have worshiped with Hope Community whether in church or outside the church building.

Carrie Beth said...

I too was a little hesitant about going to the Stewart Home Sunday night. I would say that that environment was definitely outside of my comfort zone and I was a little uneasy about taking my 4 week old there with me. BUT, I just kept feeling God tell me to go. I am so glad I did. All the residents were drawn to the baby and wanted to see him, know his name, how old he was, etc. With my first son, I would have run for the hills before letting them touch him or be close, but I was completely ok with it Sunday night. There was such an innocent sweetness about the way they approached him and I was blessed by it. The worship was phenomenal. God was truly smiling on us and jumping up and down with us Sunday night. That is what true joy is all about!!!!!!!!!!!!!

drew said...

thank you for these stories...